Welcome to the AHPBA | Bienvenidos al AHPBA | Bem-Vindo a AHPBA
Hosted by Tim Vreeland and Tim Newhook (@vreelant @timnewhook19). Interviews and discussions about topics in HPB surgery. Meant to engage members, and potential members, of the AHPBA.
Today we’re excited to share our interview with Dr. Flavio Rocha. Dr. Rocha is a surgical oncologist and HPB surgeon at OHSU, where he serves as a professor of surgery and the Hedinger Chair and the Division Head of Surgical Oncology. Dr. Rocha’s clinical and research interests include pancreas cancer and cholangiocarcinoma, as well as other cancers of the upper GI tract.
We had a great discussion about biliary tract cancers, and Dr. Rocha shared his expertise on a variety of related topics to include gallbladder cancer and the OPT-IN trial, as well as intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and the NEOGAP trial. Enjoy!
Papers Referenced in the Episode:
- Maithel, S. K., Javle, M. M., Mahipal, A., Lin, B. S. L., Akce, M., Switchenko, J. M., … & Rocha, F. G. (2022). NEO-GAP: A phase II single-arm prospective feasibility study of neoadjuvant gemcitabine/cisplatin/nab-paclitaxel for resectable high-risk intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma.
- Shroff, R. T., Javle, M. M., Xiao, L., Kaseb, A. O., Varadhachary, G. R., Wolff, R. A., … & Borad, M. J. (2019). Gemcitabine, cisplatin, and nab-paclitaxel for the treatment of advanced biliary tract cancers: a phase 2 clinical trial. JAMA oncology, 5(6), 824-830.
- Stein A, Arnold D, Bridgewater J, Goldstein D, Jensen LH, Klümpen HJ, Lohse AW, Nashan B, Primrose J, Schrum S, Shannon J, Vettorazzi E, Wege H. Adjuvant chemotherapy with gemcitabine and cisplatin compared to observation after curative intent resection of cholangiocarcinoma and muscle invasive gallbladder carcinoma (ACTICCA-1 trial) – a randomized, multidisciplinary, multinational phase III trial. BMC Cancer. 2015 Jul 31;15:564. doi: 10.1186/s12885-015-1498-0. PMID: 26228433; PMCID: PMC4520064.
- Primrose JN, Fox RP, Palmer DH, Malik HZ, Prasad R, Mirza D, Anthony A, Corrie P, Falk S, Finch-Jones M, Wasan H, Ross P, Wall L, Wadsley J, Evans JTR, Stocken D, Praseedom R, Ma YT, Davidson B, Neoptolemos JP, Iveson T, Raftery J, Zhu S, Cunningham D, Garden OJ, Stubbs C, Valle JW, Bridgewater J; BILCAP study group. Capecitabine compared with observation in resected biliary tract cancer (BILCAP): a randomised, controlled, multicentre, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol. 2019 May;20(5):663-673. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30915-X. Epub 2019 Mar 25. Erratum in: Lancet Oncol. 2019 Apr 2;: PMID: 30922733.
- Walker, B. S., Kardosh, A., Eil, R., Wong, M., Fung, A., Brody, J., … & Mayo, S. C. (2022). HELIX-ICC: An-open label phase II trial of induction systemic mFOLFIRINOX followed by concurrent hepatic arterial infusion of floxuridine and systemic mFOLFIRI for unresectable intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma.